Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ten years ago today....

... my life, along with everyone in my family's, changed forever. It was this day 10 years ago that Kristi, my sister/friend, was killed in a tragic car accident. Needless to say... even after ten years these days are still tough... surreal might be a better word. The past few years I have used my art as therapy and found comfort in painting portraits of Kristi on July 20th... it became our special way of spending time together.
~
7-20-2005


7-20-2006


7-20-2007

~
This year was a little different... art still proved therapeutic for me but it was through the eyes, hands, and heart of another artist... Alicia Sotherland. I was surfing the net yesterday and came across a recent painting Alicia had just finished titled "Morning Light"... I was totally "in awe" and blown away when I viewed it. A comfort and peace came over me as I felt in my soul this was not mere chance but something Divine.
~
I emailed Alicia and the story gets better... I found a warm and compassionate person who was touched by the story. She gave me permission to display her painting here. Those of you who knew Kristi will be in for that same "in awe feeling" I got when I viewed this painting... scroll down and see what I mean....
~
"Morning Light" by Alicia Sotherland, July 2008.
Click on image to enlarge.
~
Isn't that cool... looks just like Kristi doesn't it? To top that... it is a self portrait of the artist, Alicia Sotherland. You can view more of Alicia's awesome artwork on her website here. I love the quote on her web-page bio... “I keep my life simple and quiet. Art is my career and it brings a lot of Peace and Joy to my life. However, it’s my life that brings a lot of Joy and Peace to my art.”
~
Thanks Alicia for bringing me peace and joy on this difficult day... may your artwork continue to bless others.
~
I would love to read everyone's comments about this special painting and/or Krsiti... click here... comments...
In Faith,
Bernie

3 comments:

Pauline x said...

Thinking of you and your family today Bernie. What a wonderful way for you to celebrate Kristi's life.... beautiful paintings here. And so lovely that through your art and through Kristi you found Alicia....
Cheers, Blessings & Love....

Anonymous said...

Hey Bernie,

I just wanted to let you know you are in our prayers. It is amazing how God sends these "little reminders" to let us know He cares about every aspect of our lives.
Your friend,
bob g

Anonymous said...

Dear Bernie & Family,
What a beautiful tribute to Kristi. And you are right, the "Morning Light" painting is "awe-inspiring" indeed.
You are in my thoughts today & always,
Lori