Sunday, October 5, 2008

Some people come into our lives and leave footprints that last forever...

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.”

Today... for a couple reasons... I am ever mindful of this quote that rings so true.

#1... Today is Kristi's birthday and she would have been 41. I can remember the day she was born... I remember dad loading all the frilly dresses in the car at the hospital when we took her home... I can even remember the space we were parked in... not to bad for a six year old at the time. I miss her dearly...

#2... Today is the Memorial Service for a dear old friend who recently lost a three year battle with cancer... Jaye Ross... "Birdie" to family and friends. Birdie and her husband, Kenny, were those type people who (although we only knew for a short period of time) left lasting footprints on our (Tami and me) souls. Jaye gave Tami her first job when I moved her here from the Maryland mountains after we got married. Kenny was instrumental in getting our photography business off the ground when we started it 20 years ago. Dylan's first word was "Bobbie", the name of their daughter... he even named his security blanket "Bobbie". Austin, Kenny and Jaye's son, went to school with our oldest daughter Lyndsey. Kenny's mom, "Gram" babysat Dylan for us... their family was intertwined with ours until a new job took them from our area around 1995ish and we simply fell out of touch. Busy lives I guess. The next time we would see them was the day before Olivia was born when they came into town for the funeral of friend who was dear to both our families. I never in a million years dreamt that that would be the last time I would see Birdie. She was the picture of perfect health and natural beauty. As in the case with Kristi... you never know what a day will bring and I got an email from Kenny... "Is that you Bern?". Excited to hear from an old friend I was not prepared for the info he was about to share... "Birdie is in the last stages of cancer"... our hearts sank. Within a week we got the message from Kenny that Birdie passed. When I think of Birdie I think of a person that thoroughly enjoyed life, her family, and her friends. I think a piece of everyone she knew left with her. Tami and I are so proud of her fight and especially of Kenny who stood by her every moment. We're just as proud of Austin and Bobbie and are sorry that we could not be in South Carolina today to tell them in person. Please let this blog post serve as a tribute to Birdie and the whole family... God bless you all and may you find comfort in all the great memories that never erode... that's what Tami and I have... great memories of Birdie and her whole family.

We love you...
Bernie

No comments: